How You Can Help
The Massachusetts Fair Housing Center (MFHC) is seeking a temporary full-time Staff Attorney. This is a temporary position for 6 months. Established in 1989, MFHC is the oldest fair housing agency in Massachusetts, and serves residents in Berkshire, Hampden, Hampshire, Franklin and Worcester Counties. Our mission is to eliminate housing discrimination through legal enforcement, public education and policy advocacy.
- Represent victims of housing discrimination by investigating, developing and litigating fair housing cases before administrative agencies and in federal and state court;
- Supervise fair housing testing activities;
- Supervise law students, interns and volunteers;
- Conduct fair housing/fair lending educational workshops and seminars in a variety of settings;
- Maintain full and accurate case files and assist in maintaining data base for grant reporting;
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
- Licensed to practice law in Massachusetts; or ability to be admitted to Massachusetts Bar by starting date
- Strong commitment to public interest law
- Superior writing skills
- Well organized with excellent attention to detail
- Training and/or public speaking experience
- Must have reliable transportation and the ability to travel in and out of state
- Computer literacy
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a small nonprofit environment
- Ability to work well with individuals of diverse backgrounds
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
- Experience with Excel and Access a plus
Salary: Dependent upon experience; includes paid holidays.
MFHC has a 35 hour work week. This position requires some nights and weekends as needed.
The Massachusetts Fair Housing Center is an equal opportunity employer. In accord with our commitment to create an environment that honors diversity, MFHC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Email is preferred but you may also submit requested documents by regular mail to: MFHC Jobs, Massachusetts Fair Housing Center, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
This position will be open until filled. We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible, with a preferred start date of March 1, 2016.
Volunteers play an important role in MFHC's effort to defend civil rights in Western and Central Massachusetts. Consider helping us to achieve our goal of eliminating housing discrimination by volunteering as a fair housing tester or legal intern:
Fair Housing Tester
A fair housing tester is a trained volunteer who investigates housing practices. MFHC fair housing testers receive reimbursement for their mileage and a small stipend. To apply to become an MFHC tester complete an online application or contact our office.
MFHC provides undergraduate and law students the opportunity to assist attorneys and legal advocates in representing individual victims of housing discrimination and engaging in community outreach. MFHC offers several internships throughout the academic year and summer. To apply for an MFHC legal internship complete an online application and send your cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.